Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Heatley Saga

A long time ago, in a land far, far away.... Enough of the Star Wars references I want to give my take on the Dany Heatley crisis. My take is pretty simple: I want Dany Heatley. I like Cogliano, Smid, and sometimes it seems like I am the only Penner fan out there (then I go read Willis) but these guys can't bring to the table what a player the calibre of Heatley can. It basically works that the Triple H line will go out, maybe player checkers, maybe gets the PvP assignment, and Heatley works his magic, which is basically outscoring any level of toughs he's put out on the ice against. Cogs, Smid can't/don't outscore opponents, and while Penner has shown some ability to be able to out produce opposition at 5v5 in a PvP role he'll never do it at a Heatley rate. That being said, I would not exactly be upset if the deal doesn't go down. Keeping the guys involved in the trade means the Oilers keep some depth. As an added bonus for me, I feel that there is a lot of untapped potential in a guy like Penner that we didn't seen under MacT. Now I don't have insiders and all my information is 3rd hand, so I don't want to comment on any of the more shady sides of Dany's character. It's pretty simple for me: we need a guy that can pot goals, and wont waste Hemmer's contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment